HTTP Error Code simply means redirection. Whenever you get HTTP Error 304 not modified in the browsers like Chrome, Firefox, Edge or any other web browser, and there might be the possibility of multiple reasons behind it. Moreover, the DNS has an issue, or the cache is reusing the existing information only to find any website or might be possible that the browser is infected.
So in this article, we try to help you in finding the best solution for fixing this error in less time and efforts. When the users are unable to visit the web page that they were trying to, then this HTTP Error 304 not modified occurred.
The exact error message that shown on the screen is:
This status code is returned if the client has already downloaded resources since the last visit and is displayed to notify the client browser that the requested resources is already stored in the browser cache which even hasn’t been modified.
Symptoms of HTTP Error 304
As we already discussed a reason of the error 304 might be multiple in numbers. But some of the most common symptoms arise during the time of this error. Some symptoms are discussed below:
- “HTTP Error 304” appears and also crashes the active program window.
- The browser always keeps showing HTTP Error 304 on a single or multiple of websites.
- Your Windows will automatically run very slowly to the mouse and keyboard input.
- ‘Not Modified’ will always display on your screen.
- The computer system might freezes or stop for a few seconds at a time.
Steps to Troubleshoot HTTP Error 304
Here we provide you the best troubleshooting steps into two different ways so that it is easy for you to solve the issue easily. The steps are very simple and clear, but you need to follow these steps in a given sequence to avoid trouble or issues. It will take you less time. The steps are discussed below in detail:
Step-1 Repair Registry Entries Associated with the Error 304 Not Modified
To solve this error 304 not modified, you need to manually edit the Windows registry only to remove invalid Not Modified keys which is even not recommended except if you have any PC service professionals. To manually repairs your Windows registry, you need to create a backup of all your data by exporting all the portions of the registry which is directly related to not modified.
- Click on the Start option.
- Type “Command” in the search bar.
- While holding the CTRL + Shift on your system, press Enter.
- Now, a permission dialog box will appear on your screen.
- Click on the “Yes” option.
- Then, a black color box will automatically open with a flashing cursor.
- Alternatively, type the word “regedit.”
- Press the Enter tab.
- Now, from the Registry Editor, choose the Error 304-related key, that you want to take backup.
- Alternatively, from the file menu, select Export.
- Now, from the Save In the list, choose the folder where you need to save the Windows operating system backup key.
- Then, in the File Name box, you need to enter a name for your backup file.
- Make sure that from the Export Range, select the Selected Branch.
- Click on the Save tab
- Finally, the file is saved with a name .reg file extension.
- Now, a backup of your Not Modified-related to the registry entry is completed.
Perform a Clean Installation of Windows
This is the last option to resolve the Not Modified issue or error. However, reinstalling the Windows will though erase everything from your hard drive, so we suggest you start again with a new and fresh system. Moreover, a clean install of Windows will quickly and easily clean out all or any “junk” that has gathered over the normal usage of the system.
Hopefully, these methods will surely help you in resolving the issue.