A while ago, a sad story regarding a small child named Alexa who was allegedly harassed by her classmates hit the news. As per the news sources, the child’s schoolmates treated her like Amazon’s smart speakers, commanding the girl to tell the weather and treated her like a servant.
Sadly, for the little child, the word Alexa has mostly become interchangeable with Amazon’s smart speakers.
Amazon’s Echo lineup uses “wake phrases” that are activated by voice to begin attending to the user’s commands. Wake words and phrases prevent the devices from eavesdropping irrelevant details. Star Trek enthusiasts can use the word Computer to wake the personal assistant. There are a few other options to choose from. If you are tired of using Alexa or already have somebody named Alexa in your family, then here’s how you can change Alexa’s name on the Echo device.
- Launch the Alexa application on the handheld device.
- Locate and hit the home option located at the lower left-hand corner. It resembles three triangles piled together.
- Tap on the menu option located at the upper left corner of the screen.
- Select Settings from the list.
- Now, choose Device Settings.
- Select the Echo speaker you wish to make modifications to.
- Now, select Wake Word.
- You can swap the name Alexa with Amazo, Echo or Computer.
- Select one of the three options.
- After picking the wake word, your device will not respond to Alexa.
In order to activate the digital assistant on your Echo device, just say the wake word. Fans of the Radiohead music band can select Computer so that they can use “OK Computer” command to activate the digital assistant.
This is it! The name has been successfully swapped. Repeat the process for changing Alexa’s name in additional Amazon Echo products.